Ultrasonic Sprays onto balloon mounted catheters
Ultrasonic spray nozzles are advantageous in penetrating complex stent geometries, ensuring full coverage of all strut surfaces without webbing. The soft atomised spray adheres well to surfaces and coating morphology characteristics can be adjusted by modifying process parameters.
Pressure spray nozzles and air atomisers are not able to apply coatings as uniformly as ultrasonic coating systems. Coatings applied using ultrasonics are much thinner than can be achieved with dip coating, saving spray material while avoiding webbing. Since ultrasonic nozzles are non-clogging devices, spray quality is not compromised over time due to gradual clogging as seen in pressure nozzle processes.
Advantages of Ultrasonic Spray for Stent Coatings:
- Highly controllable and repeatable spray.
- Non-clogging ultrasonic technology.
- Ability to spray at flow rates in the microliter per hour range.
- Droplet sizes as small as 9 microns (with organic solvents) with very tight drop distributions.
- Low velocity spray adheres to stents without bounceback or overspray.
- Proven process for coating implantable stents & other precision medical devices.
- Highly durable coatings will not flake or peel.
- Over a decade of experience coating with hundreds of systems in operation.